Monday, November 23, 2009

Flashback of Zaczac - 2nd month

One month has passed, everything went well. Hubby and I were still staying at my parents' place because it was the lunar 7th month, also known as Hungry Ghost festival. Being superstitious, I was not keen to bring Zaczac out of the house, so decided to stay for one more month, moreover, I had extra pairs of hands when in need.

My mum worked permanent night shift, so she could only help me during the day and I took care of Zaczac throughout the night. Zaczac slowly adjusted his bioclock and woke up less during the night, except for his feeds. He can be really impatient when comes to feed, he will demand for milk immediately and poor hubby had to make Zac's milk in his fastest speed.

Zaczac went for his second Hep B injection on 14 August 2009. He was alright throughout the whole checkup until he was given the jab. He wailed. PD warned that it was going to be painful. Being an emotional mummy, my tears just rolled down my cheeks after seeing my son wailed so hard. PD quickly carried him up and cuddled him. He stopped crying straight away. Here's a pic of his battered scar! 

Shortly after his first month, my mom suggested that Zaczac should shave his hair (poor boy!). Hubby and I protested that Zaczac shall not go bald! He has such nice hair and it is a pity to see him go bald! To compromise, Zaczac trimmed the back of his hair for the usual chinese ritual. He had his eyebrows shaved as well, so that it will grow thicker, according to my mom. Well, I gave in because there were not much brow hair then. Guess what? Zaczac did not fuss through out the process, he was sleeping! *haha*


I could remember clearly Zaczac suffered slight colic for few days in his early 2nd month. He did not wail as described in those reference books, but he showed signs of discomfort every night. He would cry and we suspected he had lots of wind in his tummy. We would find ways to help him get rid of those nasty winds (by applying Ru-yi oil and burp him all the time). It was upsetting to see my dear bub going through that phase. I tried swaddling him and cradle him to sleep. My friends gave me some good advices to follow as well. I called Zaczac's PD and asked for her opinion. She said he would probably need some wind drops which can be bought in any pharmacy. Hubby bought it that very day and gave the drops to Zaczac. He did feel slightly better. Since then, we always put 0.5ml of Rid Wind in his milk before he goes to sleep. PD also prescribed him with Probiotics.

Another incident which I remembered clearly was Zaczac's naval. After the umbilical cord has fallen off, the naval never seems to dry off, there were some white sticky stuff in the naval. We tried cleaning with cord spirit, it didn't work. Being an anxious mummy, I called Zaczac's PD again. She suggested that I bring him down for consultation. PD prescribed that it was Granumola and needed Silver Nitrate to treat it. I was told it is not painful, just black stain around the naval and it will go away after a few weeks. However, after 1 week, Zaczac situation did not improve, and so I called PD again. She suggested another treatment was required. Indeed, the granoluma dried off after the second treatment. The naval now looks perfect!

Sometime during the second month, Zaczac had problem pooping regularly. That worried me. I did some research online and even post it in Facebook to ask for advices. Some suggested I change his milk formula and some advised I should massage his tummy and exercise his legs in bicycle movement to encourage bowel movements. I tried all ways, there was still no sign of Zaczac's poop. After 4 days, he pooped! It was a great family affair because everyone in the family will ask if Zaczac has pooped yet. So the moment Zaczac pooped, everyone was so happy for him. I was relieved!
I thought it was an one-off. I was wrong, he has decided that he should only poop after four days or more. It can be really worrying, but PD and GP told me that it is normal and I should not worry unless he is passing out hard stools (which he did not). I was told by PD that babies who are on breastmilk may encounter such problem, as long as it is not hard stool, that is ok! After awhile, I got used to his poo patterns. But Zaczac is a good boy, he will give prior warning that he will be pooping soon. How? He will show signs of "nnnnggggg" on his face the day before he poops! *ROFL*

I am trying to recall what other happenings during the 2nd month... ahhh... since he slept in the proning position all the time, that attributes to his strong neck muscle. He was able to lift up his head with minimal support required. He also like to 'crawl' even though he is still too young for it. We will always give him a push to help him moved forward when he tried to crawl. It is really funny to see him 'crawl' at times!

We stopped putting on mittens for him after 5th week. This was because the naughty boy always put the mittens in his mouth! Notti Notti!

I must say 2nd month was still a steep learning curve for a new mummy like me! 

Below are some pictures of Zaczac taken during the 2nd month:

No comments:

Post a Comment